The health and well-being of each person is intertwined with the health and well-being of the broader community. Access to health care is an essential element contributing to the common good, alongside others such as education, employment and a safe environment.
Accessible and affordable quality health care in Virginia should be:
- The shared responsibility of our entire community: individuals, providers, employers and government.
- Available to all Virginians, regardless of ability to pay and without causing financial hardship.
- Comprehensive, including a full range of services (primary, preventive, acute and long term care) in order to promote and maintain physical, oral and mental health.
- Provided in a manner that is timely and culturally/linguistically appropriate.
- Financed and delivered in a manner that leverages state spending, maximizes efficiency of resources, eliminates waste, and supports economic growth throughout Virginia.